How to recruit and retain a GP for a medical practice?
Recruiting doctors in Australia is challenging due to a number of factors. These include the increasing demand for healthcare services, the aging population, the shortage of doctors in rural and remote areas, an increasingly competitive job market, the need for doctors to have specialist skills, the cost of medical education, and the lack of incentives to attract doctors to certain areas.
Here are some tips to attract and recruit GP for your general practice?
Utilise online recruitment platforms: There are multiple online recruitment platforms available to find and recruit GPs for general practice. These platforms allow employers to post job listings and search for qualified candidates. For example, GP Vacancy is best site to list GP jobs in Australia
Create an online presence: Having an online presence is essential for attracting doctors to your medical practice. Make sure you create a website that is informative, user-friendly, and visually appealing. You should also make sure to have an active social media presence, where you can share information about your practice and engage with potential doctors.
Advertise in medical publications: Many medical publications and websites are dedicated to connecting employers and job seekers. Posting job listings in these publications can help you reach a greater audience of potential GPs.
Reach out to local medical schools and universities: Contact local medical schools and universities to find out about GPs who are looking for jobs. Many medical students and recent graduates may be interested in a career in general practice.
Host events: Hosting events is a great way to attract doctors to your practice. Networking events and medical conferences are great opportunities to meet potential doctors and show them why your practice is the ideal place for them to work.
Connect with other medical organizations: Reach out to medical organizations such as the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Family Physicians, and the American College of Physicians to ask about any GPs they may know of who are looking for work.
Network with other GPs: Attend local and national medical conferences and other events to network with other GPs and ask about any GPs they may know of who are looking for a job.
Use social media: Use social media platforms such as LinkedIn and Twitter to search for GPs and post job listings.
Offer competitive salaries and benefits: Offering competitive salaries and benefits is key to attracting doctors to your practice. Make sure you research what other practices are offering and make sure that you are offering a competitive package.
Some easy steps to recruit a GP in Australia:
- Create a job description: Start by creating a detailed job description that outlines the qualifications, duties, responsibilities, and expectations of the GP position. Include the required licenses and certifications, salary range, and any other qualifications you want in the potential candidate.
- Post the job: Make sure to post the job in the right places. Reach out to local medical schools, hospitals, and family practices. Use job boards, social media, and other recruiting websites to reach a wide audience.
- Screen applicants: Once you receive applications, use a consistent process for screening potential candidates. Make sure to ask relevant questions and use the job description as a guide.
- Interview: Set up interviews with the best applicants. Have a list of questions prepared that will help you determine if they are a good fit for the practice.
- Background check: Be sure to run background checks on all potential candidates. This is important for the protection of your practice and all involved.
- Hire: Once you have found the right candidate, make an offer and start the onboarding process.