check DWS status of a medical practice

How to get 19AB spousal exemption to recruit an OTD for non-DWS medical practice in Australia?

How can a non-DWS medical practice apply for 19AB spousal exemption? Practices located in District of Workforce Shortage Statistical Area2 (SA2) can get 19AB exemption for overseas trained doctors. DWS status can help the OTD to fulfil the requirements under section 19AB of the Health Insurance Act, 1973. However, non-DWS area practices do have some options to apply for 19AB exemption while recruiting an overseas trained doctor. 19AB spousal exemption is one of them.

There is no formal application for 19AB spousal exemption. 19AB spousal exemption can be granted to an applicant who is the spouse of a medical practitioner who is not prevented by 19AB of the Act from rendering, or from having rendered on his or her behalf, a professional service for which medicare benefits is payable and who ordinarily resides in Australia. It can also be granted to a spouse of a person who has been granted a General skilled migration visa and migrated to Australia within 10 years with the purpose to work in the occupation which has been assessed by a relevant assessing authority as skilled migration or a migration in demand.

The Minister may take in to account the distance between the primary place of work of the spouse of the applicant and principal applicant’s service location.

This is a general advice only and practices should contact Department of Health by email: to get further information about 19AB replacement exemption.

19AB Spousal Exemption GP Jobs in Australia


Below is the list of some of new GP jobs posted on our website that are falling within District of Workforce Shortage (DWS) location (*as of 24th August 2017)


[jobs_by_tag tag=”dws-jobs”]